battery indicator

Started by sydko, February 23, 2015, 11:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sydko

I fell in love with the way apple made it earlier...
You push a button, and leds shine and show how much battery u got left

Mine

The battery gas gauge is easy enough to do with the EC.

Map some key press or if the keyboard has the no longer used Access IBM key for example might be used for this.

specing

Are there any hardware level indicators, like there are seven-segment displays?
E.g. it has 8 LEDs built-in and you give it a 3-bit value? Possibly RGB? (see image)

Adarion

That looks quite nice an comfortable.
Sometimes it is these small LEDs that add a lot of comfort. I was totally blow when I read that (iirc) Lenovo killed the HDD/SSD activity LED. This is really a cheap item but adds comfort and control for the user. Status LEDs are all good for me, just make sure they don't blind you while working at the device.

specing

> Status LEDs are all good for me, just make sure they don't blind you while working at the device.

Since they would be MCU controlled, you could adjust their intensity, colour and even turn them off completely via OS and/or keyboard binds (bypass OS).

Ryushin

Would it not be better to have a little small little 1/4" 3 digit LCD that displays the actual battery charge percentage?

specing

> Would it not be better to have a little small little 1/4" 3 digit LCD that displays the actual battery charge percentage?

you mean 3 * 7-segment display or an actual LCD?

Ryushin

Quote from: specing on March 08, 2015, 07:23:09 PM
> Would it not be better to have a little small little 1/4" 3 digit LCD that displays the actual battery charge percentage?

you mean 3 * 7-segment display or an actual LCD?

3 * 7-segment display.  So I guess it could be LED or the watch/calculator LCD.

specing

2 segments 0 -99 and off is 100?

Mine

Quote from: specing on March 12, 2015, 08:46:27 PM
2 segments 0 -99 and off is 100?

If we go with a two segment numerical display then 00 would be fully discharged and 99 for fully charge.