News:

IRC  freenode #openlunchbox

Main Menu

Why Modular?

Started by Mine, January 27, 2015, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mine

Modular was decided to be able to cover as many different options that people ask for. Some want high performance, long battery life, rugged keyboard and a 12" width. Others want the same with a 15" or 17"display, and others only want a multicore ARM SOC and a durable case with rugged keyboard.

Having the mainboard, batteries, display and keyboards as modules allows the end user to  mix and match the features they want now. This also allows them to upgrade or replace these features in the future.

sydko

Quote from: Mine on January 27, 2015, 06:12:29 PM
Modular was decided to be able to cover as many different options that people ask for. Some want high performance, long battery life, rugged keyboard and a 12" width. Others want the same with a 15" or 17"display, and others only want a multicore ARM SOC and a durable case with rugged keyboard.

Having the mainboard, batteries, display and keyboards as modules allows the end user to  mix and match the features they want now. This also allows them to upgrade or replace these features in the future.

We have to observe the limitation of the computer arhitectures which currently surround us.. I think making a too modular design wouldnt be good..
Simply said i think we should design something which will incorporate the best of today (either x86 or the arm)

What can be made easy to replace: battery, screen, hard disk, ram, cpu?

Mine

Various x86 and arm cpu modules will be made available based on interest.

The battery, screen, hard disk, ram, and cpu (if socketed) will be easily replaced.